Thursday 28 January 2010

"Villette" on hold

Vaguely inspired by reading The Jane Austen Book Club I was going to try to read slightly more worthy literature than I normally aspire to when I'm working. So I decided to start Charlotte Brontë's Villette, as the general consensus seems to be that it's even better than Jane Eyre, which I love.

However, reading a 150+-year old book takes a lot more energy than reading the sort of fairly light-hearted fluff I normally choose to read during term time, as teaching just takes so much out of me intellectually at work. I just don't have the energy to slog through classical literature now, especially since by chapter 14 of the novel, nothing much of consequence appears to have happened. With so many other books out there to read and blog about, I think I will put Villette on hold for the time being, and see if I feel like picking it up again during the summer holidays, when I tend to have a lot more motivation for that sort of literature. I doubt I will try reading Mansfield Park before then, either.

In other news, my new handmade black leather cover for my Reader arrived. It has a Chinese dragon on it, and a pewter clasp, and it's gorgeous. I will post a picture of it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment