Sunday 18 January 2015

Reading Challenges 2015: Dive Into Diversity

It's been pretty much impossible to be a reader of book review sites and blogs online for the past year without noticing the very incouraging #WeNeedDiverseBooks campaign, that was started in April 2014. I am really not as good as I should be about reading books that feature diversity. I was determined to find a reading challenge for 2015 which would make sure that I branched out and read more books with diverse protagonists, so I didn't just stay in my comfort zone of white privilege. Working as I do, in a schol with a great amount of diversity, it feels as if I should do my best to broaden my reading horizons too. The Dive Into Diversity Challenge is simple - read and review diverse books in 2015.

The definition of books that Reading Wishes and Rather Be Reading, the hosts of the challenge, use is taken from the We Need Diverse Books Tumblr: "We recognise all diverse experiences, including (but not limited to) LGBTQIA, people of colour, gender diversity, people with disabilities, and ethnic, cultural and religious minorities".

While the challenge doesn't require you to sign up for any particular goal, I find it easier if I commit myself to something. Hence, I am declaring that I want to read and review at least 20 books featuring diversity in 2015. I may be able to top that (I hope so), but I will try to read books written by a more diverse selection of authors, featuring a more diverse spectrum of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment